In most cases, tattoos fail due to improper care or the use of counterfeit products that do not meet quality standards. The result of improper treatment of tattoos can be rapid fading, blurring of contours, and even infection. After all, when any tattoo is applied, the top layer of the skin is damaged and opens up the infection to the inner tissues. Good care, on the contrary, promotes rapid healing and helps to preserve the brightness of the image.
Care of a new tattoo right after the salon
Any professional tattoo artist after the application of tattoos necessarily gives instructions on further care. It is not necessary to ignore professional advice, especially about the first stage of healing. The first day after the tattoo is the most important because it depends on the further condition of the tattoo. Immediately after the drawing, it is necessary to follow the following recommendations:
- If you choose a professional salon, the first treatment will be taken care of by the tattoo artist himself and performed in the salon. Usually, a specialized healing film is used for the first treatment. Today the most popular is “Suprasorb F”. This film is recommended by most tattoo artists. It has a “breathing” effect, protects the tattoo from dust and germs, easy to use. The film is a disposable product. It is applied immediately after the session, and it is necessary to wear it for at least a couple of hours. If you want, you can use an ordinary food film. But its effectiveness is much lower.
- Before removing the film at home, be sure to wash your hands with antibacterial soap to exclude the possibility of infection. Remove the film with slow and careful movements.
- The film is washed with warm (not hot) water using an antibacterial detergent. The detergent should have no fragrance additives and dyes. The ideal is Holy Dew Swift or Tattoo Up Aquamarine detergents. Clean the tattoo with light, non-pressurizing strokes until small spots of blood, lymph, or pigment particles are completely removed. Do not use sponges or washcloths, especially used ones. First, they can be painful. Secondly, there is a great chance of damaging the pattern. Third, they can harbor bacteria. You should also avoid a direct, high-pressure stream of water on a fresh pattern.
- To disinfect the surface, you can use “Chlorhexidine” or spray the skin with “Miramistin”. Both products are sold at any pharmacy at very reasonable prices. But from the peroxide and alcohol lotions must be abandoned.
- Washed tattoo dry naturally or gently blotting with a paper towel that does not irritate the skin and leaves no unwanted lint.
- After the skin is completely dry, you can move on to the process of applying healing ointments. During the first 3-4 days, this procedure is carried out every 4 hours. Most likely the artist will recommend a suitable cream and tell you how often it should be applied. Among the most popular products for healing, today are “Doctor Pro” gels, developed based on “Dexpanthenol”. They come in convenient packaging, are easy to apply, and promote not only rapid healing of wounds on the skin, but also maintain the richness of the colors. Also effective in the healing of new tattoos cream “Bepanten” or “Dexpanthenol” in pure form. However, these funds should buy only from a trusted supplier. These drugs are very often produced fake low quality, can cause severe irritation. In the pursuit of savings should not use and budget creams, based on petroleum products. For example, petroleum jelly and vaseline-containing ointments, as they poorly absorbed and clog pores.
- After treatment with the cream, the drawing should be covered with the film again.
Of the specialized tattoo care lines, products from “Tattoo Pharma” that moisturize and protect the skin have proven themselves well. For example, “Doctor Pro”. And “Tattoo UP”, soothing the skin, relieving redness and swelling. Also, such specialized cosmetics as Easy Tattoo, Mustang Tattoo, Ocean Care, Ok Tattoo are good for soothing the skin and protecting the pigment.
The first days with a new tattoo
The second day after tattooing still requires special care. You will have to change the protective film several times, washing the tattoo with warm water and a mild detergent. You should also avoid tight clothing. Any friction will provoke itching and skin irritation. In addition, as the skin heals, it may ooze lymph and paint particles that will stick to your clothes.
On the third day, the film can be left off, but treatment procedures should continue in the same manner. Wash the skin with antibacterial agents at least 2-3 times a day. This rule is maintained for the entire healing period, which can last from 2 to 6 weeks. The intensity of healing depends on the characteristics of the body, the size of the tattoo and its location on the body.
Main recommendations for taking care of a new tattoo
Starting from the fourth day after the tattoo, with the normal course of the healing process the design does not require any special treatment. From this moment on the duration of 1-2 months you can apply the general recommendations:
- application of moisturizing creams should be timely and in moderation. It is enough to apply ointments 2-3 times a day with a thin layer;
- A crust is always formed on the surface of the skin after a tattoo (this occurs 5-9 days after the procedure). It is not necessary to be afraid and should not be removed until it dries out and peels off arbitrarily. This process must go by itself, otherwise in place of the crusts peeled off will remain white scars. Therefore, tattoos must not be scratched. If the itching becomes unbearable, just treat the place with moisturizing cream. The cause of itching is usually dryness of the damaged skin and additional moisturizing should solve the problem;
- Do not let the unhealed tattoo be exposed to direct sunlight, because under the influence of ultraviolet light some of the pigments may lose their original brightness. This period may take from 2 to 4 weeks. Further on for keeping the color of the tattoo it is necessary to treat it with SPF-factor sunblock;
- before the complete healing of the tattoo avoid taking hot baths, swimming in the sea and pool. Prolonged exposure to water can lead to a partial washout of the pigment. As a result, the tattoo will have a peeling appearance. In addition, in places of general rest in the water may be present germs that can provoke infection of unhealed wounds.
- The gym after the tattoo (especially at the bends: elbows, knees) is better to give up until the complete healing of the epidermis. Otherwise, it will take considerably more time to heal. And in some cases, due to profuse sweating, irritation may appear.
The tattoo does not heal for a long time
Sometimes tattoo healing can take a long time, and the place of the drawing will continue to bother the owner a lot. Increased healing time and discomfort can be associated with the individual characteristics of the body or non-compliance with the rules of care for the tattoo in the first days after its application. But even in this case, the situation can be corrected. The main thing is to pay attention to the tattoo and not to let things slide. If after 4-6 weeks there are still painful wounds on the tattoo site, the following tips should be used:
- More oxygen. Tattoos as often as possible need to be left open. The more fresh air will flow to the skin, the faster the top layer will start to dry;
- If after a few weeks the tattoo is still a bother, in no case can not stop the treatment of wounds antiseptic. To the choice of the latter is worth to take with the utmost responsibility. Maybe the thing is that the used preparation is just not suitable for your skin type and for faster healing you should choose another means;
- The same applies to the healing ointment. Often the problems with the skin during the healing stage begin because of the poor quality cream. To insure against the purchase of fakes, it is best to buy professional cosmetics for tattoo care in specialized stores that have certificates and licenses;
Do not end the recovery course, as soon as the feeling starts to improve. Treatment with the ointment should be continued until there are no negative symptoms for 3-4 days.
Signs of complete healing
To talk about complete healing of a tattoo, if:
- there is no redness on the skin;
- There is no unpleasant itching;
- The crust has completely fallen off naturally;
- There is no swelling or peeling in the area of the design;
- There is no discomfort when pressing on the picture.
How attractive the tattoo will depend on the skill of the artist, the level of equipment used, and the quality of materials. But the bright and clear tattoo after a couple of years is the merit of its owner. If you have decided on a tattoo, be prepared for the fact that you will have to take care of the drawing and monitor your habits both in the preparation stage and after the complete healing.